Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It’s been very surreal


It’s been very surreal.

Building a production in a space that once was the classroom. Theory becomes practice. The place of inspiration and debate is now the playing field...the construction site. I miss my classmates. Their voices rattle on my brain. I turn hoping to see them. No such luck. I’m on my own now. Unfamiliar territory.

Coincidence reveals itself. Chloe’s physician’s name is Dr. Patel (the same as Betty-the character she plays.) Alice spent twelve years in Catholic School but is miraculously free of the life determining guilt that accompanies so many years of indoctrination. She must have been absent the day the nuns secretly injected that strand of DNA. And turns out Jessica has an interesting and remarkably appropriate background in wine…a product of some plan “B” training she explored years ago.

Last night, on my drive in, my ears were pricked by a song that I naively presumed was Pink Floyd’s, “The Wall.” Right band. Right album. Not quite the title track. It was even better than I had hoped. The song’s title (I learned ex post facto) was: “Mother.” The lyrics that nearly drove me into the breakdown lane of Route Two couldn’t have been any more in concert with my protagonist’s story…and her struggle with her mother.


Momma's gonna make all of your nightmares come true

Momma's gonna help build the wall


Mother, do you think she's good enough for me?

Mother, do you think she's dangerous to me?

Momma's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you

Momma won't let anyone dirty get through

Coincidence and inspiration abound.

Have to use it. -- Michael Towers

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the soundtrack of your life plays, if you listen for it, you know? I love this. Can't wait to see the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing it Friday night. Have a great opening!

    Michael Tooher

    ReplyDelete