Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Illegitimi non carborundum

The dust-up regarding this year’s Wasserstein Prize is over – at least for now – but I wanted to share these links, to create a record of the situation for us here. I admit I was a bit behind on this controversy myself.  All of these blog posts are well worth reading:


It seems appropriate, during this week when we pause to reflect on our various gifts over turkey and stuffing, to say that among the many things for which I am grateful as a playwright are colleagues such as Kirsten and Callie – and so many more – who do not shy away from taking a stand in the face of unfairness (and, in this case, absurdity). Those a bit more removed from the front lines (like me) because of other jobs, family obligations, etc., are certainly thankful for it.

[As for my own opinion, I have a one-word response to the notion that not a single play written by a woman under the age of 32 this year was deserving of such an award; however, in the interest of maintaining the family tone here, I won’t actually type the word. Instead, I will just say this: Two syllables, rhymes with “nitwit,” and begins with the letter ‘B’.]

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment