Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

They had me at ‘hello’...


...literally. On Monday, I walked into the studio classroom where our workshop was to take place, and there it was on the white board:


An anagram of my crazy name – brilliant. In an instant I could tell these were my kind of folks. My peeps.

The Massachusetts Young Playwrights' Project brings together playwrights and student writers, and this year I am mentoring twelve of Allan Reeder’s high school students at Walnut Hill School in Natick. The students (many of whom have never written a play before) will write their own 10-minute plays over the next month or so. I’ll visit the school a couple of times -- when we will read and discuss their work together -- and keep in touch with them via e-mail as they revise their work.

Walnut Hill is one of a dozen or so schools in the Boston metro participating in the program, which culminates in the New Noises Festival at BPT in April. Read more details about this innovative program here.

I had a terrific time learning a bit about everyone and having a first listen to the students’ work, and I think they enjoyed it too: A few of them have e-mailed me already with new ideas and revisions of their plays! Watch this space for more on my adventures at Lawn Nut Ill! (Okay, yeah, maybe I can help them with their plays a little, and they can give me a serious education on anagram creation…)

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment