Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fight the funk *with* the funk


All the right elements: Earth, Wind & Fire
But you really didn’t think it would be possible for me to write about music without actually posting some music, right? (People who know me know better than that.)

As an addendum to the previous post, I think it is *certainly* worthy to note here that it is possible to fight the funk with the funk. Years ago, when I was at the Kennedy Center’s playwriting intensive, playwright Caleen Sinnette Jennings spent time with us, leading writing exercises and talking about “writer stuff”: Taking risks, how discomfort can lead to discovery, being careful not to judge our work too early in the process, etc. She also talked to us a little bit about writer’s block, and about writing as a whole body experience (one suggestion was to take a break from typing and write freehand instead). She was great.

My favorite piece of advice, though – and I wrote it down – was: “Remember, if all else fails, there’s nothing that Earth, Wind & Fire can’t cure.” 


And then we all danced to ‘September’ a la the Soul Train line. As long as I live, I will never, ever hear that song without remembering that day.




1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about how to fix skin break out regularly additionally, noticed your site by google, RYAN REYNOLDS THE ADAM PROJECT JACKETgathered huge loads of helpful information as of now i'm a piece clear.

    ReplyDelete