Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Exploration and Discovery

Jim Loutzenhiser and Sarah Newhouse

One of the things I love about working with new material is the possibility of being part of the creation. Having been working on existing material for quite some time, it's been a breath of fresh air to revisit the unique process of putting a new play on its feet. My early career was filled with new work; it seems like it was all I did for a while, as a young professional in NYC. Playwrights Horizons, Ensemble Studio Theatre, my own production company: my experiences were full of exploration & discovery. And some of those early writers I got to work alongside have been successful beyond what we imagined at the time.

But back to the here & now. It has been quite something to see the elements of this show come together. From my very first read of it, I knew the play was rich in atmosphere & loaded with feeling. It is about sin, 
religion, race and redemption. It has a specificity that cannot be ignored, yet it is about all of us. And it is a ghost story. Perfect for this season. I hope you enjoy watching it as much a I have enjoyed being part of the amazing team of artists that is bringing The River Was Whiskey to theatrical life!

- Sarah Newhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment