Visit the Boston Playwrights' Theatre Web site for information about our programs, tickets, and more!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Voices of BTM XIV: Jack Neary


Jack Neary
I’m pretty sure I’ve been represented in all but one Boston Theater Marathon since the inception of the great enterprise. I don’t know what happened that year. I probably just misplaced Ellen Colton and Bobbie Steinbach’s phone numbers or something. In any case, the Marathon has been a springtime rite for me for almost all of its lifetime. For the past few years, my plays have had the honor of occupying the final slot of the day. I don’t know if this is because the plays are good or because Kate likes me to lock up after everyone leaves the building. I don’t mind locking up, but I do wish the party would break up a little earlier so I could get home at a decent hour.

I love participating in the Marathon for many reasons, not the least of which is the theatre-savvy audience sitting out there in those plush Calderwood seats, reacting knowledgably to my show biz themes. When a playwright can email Israel Horovitz to ask permission to use his name (multiple times) in a play, and then have the man himself sit in the audience and laugh at the jokes, that’s heaven. What a community to play to, he said, trying not to end a sentence with a preposition.

A play of mine will be out there again in 2012, not, sadly, featuring the brilliant Ladies Colton and Steinbach, but rather featuring an entire family of four from the North Shore. I’m not sure if this is a Marathon first, but it sure as hell made for easy rehearsing.

It’s a privilege to be part of this Event of All Events. I hope to remain part of it until Kate runs out of Roman numerals.

-- Jack Neary

We hope you’ll join us on Sunday, May 20 for Boston Theater Marathon XIV (and for the Warm-Up Laps on May 19!). Click here for tickets and complete event details. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment